Why music is so important, and which are its function?
An important point to have in count in this question is the next; the meaning that can have for us. “And it depends to the intention with you use it, since, not always it has to comply with one function. It is for this reason that the meaning it has will depend a lot on the intention with which it is carried out, on its moment Nietzsche mention the next: “Without music life would be a mistake”
There are different types of music and thanks to this variety they can be divided into categories, the main divisions are use and function, allowing the use for this specific’s actions. These can be considered the use categories:
- Material culture: field work and outdoor activities
- Social institutions: Related to life, death and education.
- Man, and universe: Religion, myths and legends.
- Aesthetic: Geographic art, plastic arts and dance.
- Language: Song lyrics, musical mechanisms such as the drum.
Once we talk about the use and how they are divided, we will know the functions too;
- Musical expression: lyrics that represent, ideas and emotions.
- Aesthetic enjoyment: point of view of the author and the listener.
- Entertainment: present in all cultures, it may or may not have functions.
- Symbolic representation: ideas and behaviors.
- Communication: transmit information.
- Physical response: directly related to dance.
- Compliance reinforcement: related to social control, ceremonies, protests.
- Religious rites: myths and ancient legends.
- Contribution to continuity: Through education.
Having this distribution of information, it is important to also mention the elements that make up what we call music, being considered one of the favorite Fine Arts of many, this, thanks to the aesthetic effects that sound manipulation achieves, this way constitute a support for global culture.
Being an artistic expression since time immemorial. The characteristics that compose it are parameters, elements, types, genres.
- The height, frequency of sounds that allows them to be classified into; bass, treble or high.
- Duration, the time in which the instruments remain making sounds.
- Intensity, the force with which a sound is produced, the energy contained in sound waves.
- Timbre, qualities that sound has allowing to distinguish the different instruments that sound.
- Melody, set of sounds, sounded successively allowing them to be perceived as a complete unit.
- Harmony, an effect which results from combining two or more musical notes, become pleasing to the ear.
- Rhythm, Links music over time, causing the transmission of the elements thanks to the placidity and shapes of the other elements. Combination of figures and silences that make up the music.
Types of music (Being enough and with thousands of years of existence, its classification can be presented in different ways):
- Popular music, from the town, from folklore, tradition, protest. It is related to local history; it is accompanied by dance.
- Academic music comes contrary to popular music, from a more elitist, European culture, it does not have a large audience, but it does have an appreciation within the culture.
- Ceremonial music, used to mark celebrations, rituals regardless of the author, enter these points the nuptial, funeral march.
- Advertising music, it is not considered music of an artistic nature, on the contrary, it is anonymous and accompanies advertising short films and the opening of programs.
These are distinguished using instruments, are classified to guide the public and they can choose music according to what is being proposed.
- Pop music, a completely commercial genre, comes from the popular word, of American origin from the 1960s.
- Blues music, means melancholy, most of the singers are mostly black, a twelve-bar pattern is followed.
- Rap, the patterns are repetitive, mixing rhyme and slang, especially from the marginalized neighborhoods, it was born in the US in the 70’s.
- Rock, sub-genres derived from rock and roll, the predominant instrument within this genre is the electric guitar.
Now that we know all the components of music, we can understand why it is so important. Scientists after several studies affirm that it favors happiness and creativity, while also being therapeutic. It is true that for every moment and situation we will always have music.